Monday, January 10, 2011

I do love Soccer!

Those that know me, know that I have fallen in love with the sport of soccer.  Yes, I fought it tooth and nail because soccer was not a sport in Texas.  I mean come on, in Texas the sports go in this order - Football, football, football, baseball, basketball, golf, tennis and then way at the end of the list after badmitten was soccer.

As I parent, I was determined that Colton was going to be a baseball meca.  He is left handed, can throw the heck out of the baseball, can knock it out of the park plus he had the genes from a professional baseball player.  His biological great-grandfather played baseball for the New York Yankees with Lou Gehrig and Joe Demaggio.  For you trivia buffs that will check this out, he played in the 1937 World Series.  I have signed bats and baseballs to go along with it. 

During the off season of baseball one year, Colton wanted to play soccer.  I can't even remember how it happened, but we signed him up.  Little did we know that this small act would change our lives FOREVER.

It didn't take long for Colton to assess that Baseball was a slow moving game.  He didn't enjoy sitting in the dugout waiting for his turn to bat.  Soccer, unlike baseball, has very little slow time and when you did get to sit and rest you welcomed the chance to catch your breath.  Colton decided that baseball was not for him when he was 8 years old and told us that he wanted to only play soccer.  Jack and I both were devastated.  What?  There goes all our hopes and dreams about having a left handed pitcher in the major leagues - season tickets and all that goes a long with it.... so we did what any parent would do........ we begged him not to give up baseball..... Just Kidding... We embraced the sport our son picked.

Colton is a natural - in all the years he has played soccer, he has never tired from it or grown bored.  He has excelled under his coaches and has made Jack and I extremely proud.  At the age of 10 his team - The Gators - won the Tournament of Champions and the National Indoor title.  From there he began his select soccer career with the DFW Tornados.  They have had their ups and downs, but are currently in the middle of a HUGE upswing!  I couldn't be more proud for him and his teammates.  Here is a photo from their most recent tournament in Germantown Tennessee.


Then came High School Soccer with the Richland Rebels.  Here is has earned the nick-names Beast and Precious.  He has also won the hearts of the varsity girls team - or so I have been told. When he touches the ball, the girls all squeal and cheer - GO PRECIOUS!  I of course swell with pride and love every single second.  Some of the parents look at me like I'm crazy when I yell - Come on Doodle Bug - Lets go Sugar sweets!  They all say, Colton is gonna kill you.... but you know what..he has never said a word.  He knows that it comes with the territory, plus he is secure enough in his play and manhood that it doesn't bother him.  If someone on the field makes fun of him for being called Precious, then he can look at them and say, you just got school by Precious!  Not that he would - he never talks back - just proves his ability with his feet - not his mouth. 

Here is Colton in his Letterjacket that he earned as a Freshman! 


This year his High School team is off to a great start.  There is an undeniable chemistry and commradory that oozes from the field.  Its like one giant ooey,gooey chocolate chip cookie.  Sweet, wonderful and addicting! 

Some have desribed Colton as the Perry Como of the soccer field.  Another used the word elegant.  I don't know how I would describe it except that I am one proud mother and I am addicted to watching him play soccer.

Actually, I'm just addicted to Soccer now... I manage Colton's select team - DFW Tornados.  I also do whatever is needed for his High School team.. Mostly I just spread sunshine and love to all the boys on both the Select team and High School team.  I also just got my Referee badge so I can start referring with Colton (per HIS request)..... yes people, he likes spending time with his mother....what a gift.

The part of soccer that I treasure are the friendships that I have formed over the years. One of my very best friendships was born from soccer.  I have made some new ones since High School and I will always treasure them. 

What a gift soccer has been to my life....I look back at how devestated we were when he gave up baseball and I laugh.... I think about how different my world would be and I think......... I do love me some soccer..
I love this boy....... check out the muscles in those legs!!!  ooohhh--la-la!!

No comments:

Post a Comment