Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Proud Mother

As a parent, you have many times that you want to burst with pride.  I find myself in that spot almost every single day!  Recently, Colton received his very first college scholarship.  He entered an essay contest and was competing against many seniors.  I was surprised and elated when we got word that he in fact won!
I know that this will be the first of many, but there is just something about your first!


(Pictured from left to right:  Alex Schindler, Rachel (girl winner), David Hoffmann (Colton's coach) me, Colton, Jack and Scott Kerlin)
NOVEMBER 2011

I wanted to share with you his essay... And before you all comment, I helped him with punctuation and a few transitions, but this was HIS story.....

November 7, 2011
To:          Alex Schindler – American Eagles Soccer Club
From:    Colton Huie
Re:         Scholarship Application

Dear Scholarship Committee,
Like most kids, I was exposed to several different sports and activities as a young child.  My parents were convinced that I was to be a baseball player.  After all, that was their favorite sport!  In fact, my great-grandfather played for the New York Yankees in the 1937 World Series as a pitcher.  His teammates included Lou Gehrig and Joe Dimaggio.  My parents to this day, say I can pitch a left-handed curve ball like no other and that if any of the High School coaches saw it they would drool.  They had visions of box seats at the World Series and my picture on the Wheaties box!  I had a different passion and that was SOCCER.  In my book, Baseball was boring and had no action.  I just didn’t see what my parents saw in baseball.  So at the ripe old age of 8, I traded my baseball bat and glove for a full time pair of cleats and shin guards.  I have never looked back and neither have my parents.  Well, after they completed their 12 step program to give up baseball!  Don’t get me wrong, my parents supported me whole-heartedly in anything I did.  In fact, they cheered for me after every goal I scored.  My mom acted as team mom for every team and is still acting as manager for my club team.  I am so grateful for their support. 
From the ages of 4 years old thru 9 years old, I played for the recreational soccer team the Gators as a forward.  During our final season as a recreational team, we won the TOC championship and in the same season we won the National Indoor Championship title.  In fact, during the finals of the TOC, we found ourselves tied at the end of OT.  We had to go into kicks from the mark to determine the winner.  I was the last one to kick and if mine went in, we would win.  No pressure right????  I would be lying if I told you I wasn’t nervous.  My stomach was full of butterflies and I remember as I took the walk up to the mark, I knew my teammates were counting on me.  I took the shot and it went in… The next few minutes were something I will never forget.  My teammates, family and coach cheering, jumping up and down!  We had just one the TOC!  My mom was crying, she said they were happy tears and that she never doubted me for a second!  The reason I tell this story is that moment gave me the confidence to handle any stressful situation.  All I have to do is focus and believe that anything is possible.  I know that even in life, I have the same support and love around me and that gives me the confidence to soar. 
The next step for our group of boys was to begin to try and find a club that fit our needs.  We found our home with the DFW Tornados/American Eagles and have never looked back.  Yes, we have had fair share of wins and losses and ups and downs, but we have also been able to hold our heads high because we have always had strong ethics and high integrity - something that was expected of us all by our parents, coaches and club.  I’ve learned that at the end of the day, your life is not to be measured by your win/loss record but rather how you handle yourself in between.  When we lost – I knew there would be another game and I chose not to let a loss or bad game weigh heavy on my heart.  I am forever grateful to the DFW Tornados/American Eagles for blessing me with two amazing coaches – Victor Medina and David Hoffmann.  These coaches couldn’t be more different, however they are very much alike in one key area…. they both believe that respecting each other and acting with high morals/integrity is very important.  I have learned so much from both men and they will always hold a special place in my heart.  They have helped mold me into the man I am becoming.
The next chapter in my soccer career began when I entered high school.  Up until this point, I had only one soccer coach in my life. I found myself having to prove myself to a new coach that knew nothing about me.  I was a 14 year old competing for a spot on the varsity team.  I was told the chances of me making the varsity team were slim to none.  That only motivated me to be better.  When it came time to announce the teams, my name was on the varsity list.  The coach pulled me aside and said, “Colton you have made the varsity squad, but I want to make it clear, you will not see the field much”.  I was ok with that because I knew in my heart that I WOULD see the field.  The high school team played in several pre-season tournaments.  The coach told me that he had plenty of forwards so during a tournament, the coach put me in as a defender.  He put me up against the top scoring forward in our district.  I knew this was my chance to shine and I did just that.  I shut down this player and he did not score a goal while I was defending him.  After that, I was a started in every game.  After the end of the season, I was again pulled into the coach’s office and was told that as a Freshman, I made 1st team All District.  To make it even more special, he told me that I was one of only 3 Freshman in the district to be given that honor.  I called home immediately to tell my mother, who again cried tears of joy.  During our soccer banquet, I was given the award for Mr. 110%.  This award is special because it is something that your peers determine.  This award is given to the person that works the hardest and never complains.  I felt like that was the ultimate compliment to be given such an award during my freshman year.  I credit this back to my club coaches who expected 110% at every practice and game.
During my freshman year, I was also introduced to our new club coach, David Hoffmann.  Again, I found myself having to earn my spot.  Coach Hoffmann only knew me as a forward, however at this point, I was truly relishing my position as a defender.  My mother invited Coach Hoffmann to a high school game and he got to see first-hand my performance as a defender.  The next practice, he moved me to defender and I have never looked back.  Under the guidance of Coach Hoffmann, our team has risen from the mid-pack of D3 to the Top of D2 (standings as of Fall 2011).  It is funny, even after all these years of soccer, I have never grown tired of practices, games or tournaments.  I continue to be inspired by my coaches and teammates.
Who would have thought that a sport could have taught me so much and added so much to my life.  Soccer has shown me that I must be responsible for my actions on and off the pitch.  I had to learn how to balance my priorities – My God, family, school work and soccer.  I am proud to say that I have been successful in managing my priorities so that in each area I can stand proud and tall and know that I have acted with integrity and pride.  My actions are such that God would be proud, my family is so very important to me and I know they are proud. I am on the honor roll at school and take many Pre-AP classes and in soccer I know that my teammates can count on me.  I am known as the Perry Como of defense.  That means that I am calm, cool and collected in any situation and that I get the job done…
It may sound cliché, but soccer has taught me many valuable life lessons:
Responsibility
Accountability
Sportsmanship
Importance of team work
Respect
High morals
How to handle stressful situations
Endurance
Integrity
Community involvement
As I look forward to beginning my college career, I’m excited about starting another chapter in my life.  This scholarship would help me so much in that my parents have spent thousands of dollars on my club soccer dues.  It would mean the world to me to help offset any cost of college and I know they would be so proud and appreciative if I was lucky enough to be chosen for this honor.
I hope that you will consider me for the honor of this scholarship.  If chosen, you can count on me to carry on the Mr. 110% in every area of my collegiate career.  I will strive to make a difference in the lives of others by leading by example, maintaining a strong balanced approach to life and through my continued community involvement.  Every morning I am told – Make good choices, make good grades and makes someone’s day along the way.  I can assure you that if given this prestigious scholarship, I will continue to cascade what I have learned into the lives of others. 
Thank you for your consideration.  I would be forever grateful. 
Kindest Regards,
Colton Huie
Did I mention that I was one proud Momma......

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome Jennifer. Congratulations to Colton, and to you and Jack for the guidance you have given to such wonderful kids, young adults. I have never seen Colton or Kendall ever doubt themselves, and they both strive to achieve greatness in everything they do. What organization was the scholarship from?

    ps. I am assuming the spelling errors are from momma when reproducing the letter.

    ReplyDelete