Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Graduation

This weekend we celebrated as Colton completed his 13 year journey from Kindergarten to 12th grade.  I found myself lost in the memories of all the "firsts" and glared defiantely at all of the "lasts".  Actually, I was not defiant at all - I was a blubbering mess.... I cried at his last soccer game for both club and high school.  I bawled like a baby at his final school assembly.  I cried at the thought of anything that meant my son was leaving me.  I just knew that on graduation day, they would need to send security over to quiet my wailing as to not disturb the other graduates!  But....surprisingly, I held it together.... quite nicely I might add.  This sense of peace and pride overcome me as he strode confidently across the stage to receive his diploma.  It finally dawned on me, that I had done my job.  I had raised a young man that was successful, kind hearted, loving, funny and gifted in so many ways.  He made the job of mothering so easy that I truly need to thank him for being the most amazing son a mother could ever wish for.

Now I'm not going to lie - when he glanced up from the floor of the auditorium and we made eye contact and waived - my eyes welled up with tears.  Tears of joy - He looked so excited and proud of himself that I couldn't resist. After the ceremony was over - he walked up to his adoring fan club and his eyes met mine.... he grinned and said, "mom - do you want a picture?".  I smiled and said, "yes... yes I do!"  and dang it I sprung a small leak!

Here is a picture of the proud momma and my sweet boy...pay no attention to the tears in the eyes!


My friends who have had experience at letting their children fly from the nest say I'm in for many more treats.  I can't wait... if these first 18 years are any indication, then I am in for a jackpot!

Congrats Colton! 
You are loved beyond measure

No comments:

Post a Comment